This room,is just off my front door entrance,was a never used living room,dining room,with plush carpets "the 80's". We are a casual family,so really prefer to sit around our kitchen table. It became a huge walk in closet,the boys dumped their hockey equipment,or what ever was in their arms as they walked into the house. I made this room, into my Scrap space, 2004. Over the last couple years,it has really be neglected. I moved my mother in, to care for her, then was away for most of the winter last year,as my middle son,was in critical condition,due to a snow mobile accident. So to say it was DUSTY,is a understatement!!!
This is a before photo. On of the biggest challenges of this room, was to redo the 60 plus boxes in the room. There are 60 cardboard boxes, that need 2 be repainted & refaced,the plus comes in, as I had to do the back side of the boxes,that are on the middle shelf in the room,as it is open.
There are 3 sets of shelves, this is the first set as you walk into the room. I decided to reface the boxes ,by using some texture,& the colors that are in the room. For my texture,I decided to do some stencil work & use DA Chipboard. The first step I did was the stencil work,using,TCW stencil, Art is. I then did my first coat of paint, I used the trim & door paint for the sides,back & the tops of the boxes. The color used, is the same as the trim color in the room. On the front of the boxes I used chalk paint. Once the paint dried, I glued on the DA chipboard, on to the fronts of the boxes. I then applied my 2nd coat of paint, over the chipboard,& the rest of the box. Now, I only had to work with the fronts of the boxes. They got a 3rd coat of paint. This took time as I only had room to do 8 boxes at a time.
A before photo,of what the boxes used to look like,I still can't believe I used that blue!!!
The middle,& back shelves....
The boxes hold supplies & photos....
Here are some closeups of some of the boxes in the room....
For the final touches, I swiped on some of the wall color paint,& TH distressed brushed pewter. The labels are painted with the wall color. Once that dried I applied 2 coats of hard coat, that I bought with the chalk paint. The chipboard is there to stay, with the glue,paint & hard coat, it is well sealed, & will be easy to wipe down.... On this box I used:
Garden Fairy (DA0277)
Scroll Border #1 (DA0219)
Lacey Corners (DA0847)
Swirly Christmas Tree (DA0636)
Heart Flourish (DA0667)
Bird of Paridise 2 PK (DA0008)
corner flourish #1 (DA0628)
Leafy Scroll (DA0764)
Corner Flourish #3 (DA0623)
Grass Cluster # 1 (DA0660)
The Dusty Attic used on most of the boxes...
ATC Frame #1 (DA0673)
ATC frame #2(DA0674)
ATC Frame #3(DA0675)
Flutterbies 3pk (DA0389)
Flutterbies #3 (DA0766)
Monarch Butterflies (DA0819)
mini ABC set upper (DA0861)
mini ABC set lower(DA0862)
I only listed the Dusty Attic that I used on the close ups of the boxes, but there is much more used.
Now that I have used up so much of my Dusty Attic, I get to play with some of the new releases...
I just love them all,you can find them here,http://www.dustyattic.com.au/
I am so happy I took on my Scrap space, it looks so much more sophisticated now, well worth the challenge...& now that I have completed the Scraproom,thinking it was my last big project for this winter,I have decided to do all new LO's for my kitchen wall,using the colors of my kitchen.Thank you so much for taking the time to look ..Rachelle